Back pain (also known "dorsalgia") is pain felt in the back that may originate from the muscles, nerves, bones, joints or other structures in the spine.
The pain may have a sudden onset or it can be a chronic pain, it can be felt constantly or intermittently, stay in one place or refer or radiate to other areas. It may be a dull ache, or a sharp or piercing or burning sensation. The pain may be felt in the neck (and might radiate into the arm and hand), in the upper back, or in the low back, (and might radiate into the leg or foot), and may include symptoms other than pain, such as weakness, numbness or tingling.
Back pain is one of humanity's most frequent complaints. In the U.S., acute low back pain (also called lumbago) is the fifth most common reason for all physician visits. About nine out of ten adults experience back pain at some point in their life, and five out of ten working adults have back pain every year.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Choosing a Chiropractor - Nine Ways That Worked and One That Didn't

1. Look in the Yellow Pages. One morning, more than 30 years ago, I woke up with lower back pain. I have a little bit ... Yes, it was definitely a pain, rather sharp and intense. I would never back pain before any kind, but the first thought I had was, 'I need a chiropractor. " Where did that idea come from? I did not know someone who is under care chiropractor, I had almost no idea about chiropractors, with the sole exception that my mother once told me that her best friend was a chiropractor. But without hesitation, I grabbed the Yellow Pages, looked at chiropractors, and found that one was in my neighborhood. That was a plus, because I do not own a car, I would be able to walk to my appointment.

2. Return to someone who helped you in the past. One or two years later I was in a bicycle accident. I was driving a hill as fast as I could on my 2-speed bike (seated and standing), by the light at the bottom, and keep my momentum for the hills right then. But as I entered the intersection, the light turned yellow. I slammed on my brakes as hard as I could, but not fast enough to stop the car a left turn in front of me! I flew through the air and woke up to an emergency tech kneeling over me. In the hospital, I received a card with the signs of concussion to monitor and sent home. Well, it seemed inadequate! So I called my chiropractor and again for the care. His examination revealed a serious misalignment of my neck, which he later corrected.

3. Get a referral from a friend. By now almost everyone knows someone who does a chiropractor. But back in the 70s, this was not the case. While I was at a theater workshop in context, I met a fellow student who told me a special form of chiropractic and encouraged me to seek that kind of care. Not long after, I found myself in New York City and is a chiropractor on Long Iceland. So each week I take the train out to East Rockaway. This time around my choice was not only about the ability to go to my appointments.

4. Different coast, different doc, the same technique. My twenty-something hikes later took me to Seattle. Since I was completely satisfied with the care I received in New York, I was looking in the same technique as in Seattle. At this time, I was always fascinated by the possibility of actually having a "real" career (and not just dabbling in the theater). When I asked these chiropractors, "Do people more, in total, over time?" his eyes gleamed (someone has it!), and I knew where I was leading.

5. Find someone who has knowledge in the context you are interested in. Before I left Seattle to attend chiropractic school in St. Paul, Minnesota, I had read from a chiropractor was to the knowledge of oriental philosophy and methods of healing. This was something I have long been reading about, so I followed him and started nursing. This chiropractor was a real mentor, and what I learned from him to me in my 25-year-old practice.

6. Not necessarily looking for leaders in the field. This advice may seem odd, but the only disappointment I have ever experienced was with a local leader of my favorite chiropractic techniques. After my return to Seattle to a practice, I looked for my colleagues in my discipline, and finally began receiving care from one of the national organizations of teachers. Unfortunately, he is never around to solve my reason for choosing him, and I moved on.

7. Stand in line at the grocery store and wait for someone to hand you their chiropractor the map. We encourage our patients to refer friends and family, but you'd be amazed how many people have evolved over the years simply because someone near them in line with the bank or hardware store or supermarket handed them a card. Timing is everything.

8. They hire an associate doctor and the exchange treatments. Okay, this is not for someone other than a chiropractor, but hey, it worked for me. They spend 4-1/2 years in chiropractic school and receive free chiropractic care for life. Not a bad agreement. Think about it.

9. Read a book. In 1999, after sixteen years in practice I was feeling a little uninspired. My reason for choosing the chiropractic school - to support the people unfold their maximum human potential - has been overwhelmed by what I saw as the potential diminishment of chiropractic. Sure, we were more of the mainstream, but at what price? Now people thought strictly as a chiropractor for neck pain, back pain, headaches. Where did the big picture away? During this time, I have the molecules of emotion, by Candace Pert, Ph.D., which she describes how our system of emotional intelligence has nodes throughout the body, including the good and the spine. In its Annex I Inform yourself about something called Network Chiropractic. If there is something in my career which have their exciting revelations, I had to check it out. So I called the phone number listed, and found that an introductory seminar was held three weekends so. Talk about serendipity! The weekend re-inspired me, and commenced a journey ever deeper and deeper healing work.

10. Select a compatible relationship, not a technology. Over the years, no matter what approach I have with my patients, my colleagues return to again and again is, quite simply, a good friend. We for the first time, long before they enter chiropractic school. In fact, when I hired her to my office manager, on maternity leave, she was in pre-med and heading for medical school. Over the years we have worked together numerous times, gone our separate ways for a few years, then back again. I suggest to my patients who are moving to another location that they interview several chiropractors and see which one (s) they feel rapport with. The human connection trumps everything else.

 

Dr. Connie Amundson has practiced in Seattle, Washington for over 25 years. She is the co-founder, along with her husband, John Kanetomi, of the AikiChiro Movement lab for hands-on healing and Aikido instruction. Besides their private practices, Connie and John are involved in nutrition education, and they may be reached via their nutrition website at http://www.DrConnieAmundson.net

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dr._Connie_Amundson,_D.C.

0 comments: