Back pain (also known "dorsalgia") is pain felt in the back that may originate from the muscles, nerves, bones, joints or other structures in the spine.
The pain may have a sudden onset or it can be a chronic pain, it can be felt constantly or intermittently, stay in one place or refer or radiate to other areas. It may be a dull ache, or a sharp or piercing or burning sensation. The pain may be felt in the neck (and might radiate into the arm and hand), in the upper back, or in the low back, (and might radiate into the leg or foot), and may include symptoms other than pain, such as weakness, numbness or tingling.
Back pain is one of humanity's most frequent complaints. In the U.S., acute low back pain (also called lumbago) is the fifth most common reason for all physician visits. About nine out of ten adults experience back pain at some point in their life, and five out of ten working adults have back pain every year.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Two Weeks of Sleeping on the Floor - Trying to Get Comfortable During Severe Back Pain

If the pain is back pain is almost unbearable, what works best to control them? Here are a few different techniques I try to fight me as pleasant as possible, when I heard from a severe case of sciatica, which has my last lumbar disk hernia and I have the sciatic nerve to recover, with the daily lives also really difficult.

After my orthopedist, I have tried physical therapy. It felt good in the traction when the body is taken to relieve the pressure on the spine. I had no idea that the next day, then my whole body would go into major spasms. As virtually paralyzed by the pain, I knew that if I do not do something to help myself, I would most certainly end up in a hospital bed. Given the limited insurance, I decided I will fight me, until exhausted my possibilities. I called the doctor and he changed the medicine to new ones because the former species does not have an effect on the pain ever have.

Now, on muscle relaxants, narcotics and steroids, some of the pain subsides. The only place I can find solace is on the floor, made worse as my bed, couch and chairs my spine right now. It is so sensitive that I need to be careful how I get up, walk, spin, and I can not bend or twist at all.

With a slab of memory foam on the floor and a sleeping bag on top, the back pain forces me to my computer from the ground to work. Do not sit in a position to almost not at all, I am leaning only slightly by the pillow to help with a wedge under your knees and another behind my back to the company. When I lie still, some of the pain subsides. Other people would have given up and gone to the hospital, but I am with my back gently, in the hope of recovery. I gave myself a deadline, if no improvement within two weeks, then I'll go to the hospital to consult the doctor. I suggest this is not for everyone, but if money is tight and the work to be done, for me it is worth a try.

The steroids seem to help. I am doing now in a position to more than a few days ago. I can sit a little longer, and go to the toilet without duplication of severe pain. Can I get up just enough to get my food and my cat and feed. They are worried, and sleep at my side at all times and wondered why it moves in the energy-owners are usually not much.

I've stopped avoiding physical therapy for now, more severe muscle cramps, is also sensitive to my body right now. Thanks be to God the pharmacy has someone deliver my medication to me. I have bottles of various drugs on my desk. It looks like a pharmacy in here. I take sleeping pills to relax because the pain of muscles and to keep calm, while all of this. I am a mellow marshmellow. Slowly, there are improvements. The floor is quite comfortable, and when I tried to get noticed in my chair, I know that I'm not ready for it yet. It is a long and slow process.

Every so often I am with my doctor or one of his sisters. I do not see friends and plenty of rest most of the time. Work was difficult, and I've had many days off (even though I work from home, it's hard to concentrate on working the phone and computer use more efficient). Thank God, understand my bosses. As I lay on my back, surf the net from a horizontal position, I'm learning a lot about dealing with problems of the lumbar spine anatomy and what not to do in order to worsen the condition. Surfing orthopedic care sites that I shop for a TENs unit (muscle stimulator to help control the pain) and all types of equipment to help with back pain. I have already bought a few supplies wanted my back, like a helping hand massager, massage bed, back belts, ice bags, wedge pillows and memory foam. How happy I am to have them, they got all pretty much use lately, and the situation more bearable with their comfort. Worsen with the wall or the vibrating massage chair massage can be used, the swelling in my back, if too much, so I only use them briefly as needed. I register heat then ice bag.

I do gentle leg exercises to keep my muscle wasting, even if I get a momentary respite from the pain. Slowly, steadily, there are improvements. The pain is there, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. It is a slow process, and I am pleased but impatient.

So far, so good. I have new appreciation for my spine. Carelessly twisting, bending and otherwise abused my back on a daily basis has become probable myself in this position now, newly learned habits will take me out of this mess. No more craning my spine into a pretzel as I fall asleep on the couch watching television. Those days are over. This is an unfortunate but necessary learning experience. Pay attention to your spine and get checked, it never hurts to preemptively than later with a bad case of back problems. Some conditions are not preventable, so if you get on, read on the condition that you expect to know what they are by the treatment. It does not make the whole situation so frightening to know more.

 

Carolyn McFann is a scientific and nature illustrator, who owns Two Purring Cats Design Studio, which can be seen at: http://www.zazzle.com/twopurringcats. Educated at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York, Carolyn is a seasoned, well-traveled artist, writer and photographer. She has lived and worked in Cancun, Mexico, among other interesting professional assignments in other countries. Clients include nature parks, museums, scientists, corporations and private owners. She has been the subject of tv interviews, articles for newspapers and other popular media venues.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Carolyn_McFann

0 comments: